Our funeral home is a touch of 19th- century elegance. The first thing one notices are the four lions perched out front.
The size of the funeral home is staggering. There are 44 rooms and 10 1/2 bathrooms throu out the house.
Four downstairs rooms contain massive brass chandeliers with hand blown, teardrop-shaped glass fixtures; inlaid parquet floors made of cherry, walnut and oak ' and expertly- crafted plaster molding that spreads over the ceiling and wall abutment in a pastel-colored, birthday cake pattern.
The music room sports a mantel made of tiger maple, so named because the rare wood has a striped grain. The oval shaped dinning room features a built-in, semicircular wall hutch, complete with bowed glass.
The main entrance doors, made of cut crystal glass inlaid with expensive brass, stand as tributes to intricate design. On the second floor , two stained glass windows, inlaid with more conventional lead , cast a cream hues during the day and blue rays at night.
The inlaid floors made of Cherry, walnut and oak thru out the house make for a breathtaking floor.
The oval shaped dinning room features a built- in ,semicircular wall hutch, complete with bowed glass.
The third floor skylight dome, made of leaded stained glass and 10 feet diameter shines down on the main entrance way, illuminating an impressive maple spindled staircase.
History of the J.S. Douglas Mansion
"Uniontown, PA. January 4 After an illness of about 10 days with pleurisy and pneumonia, John S. Douglas, 60 years old, one of Uniontown's most prominent and most wealthy men, died at his home here today. Yesterday Dr. M.C. Cameron, chief of staff of the West Penn Hospital was summoned and was in attendance upon him throughout the night.
Mr. Douglas was born in West Newton, Westmoreland county, February 11, 1856, a son of Robert Douglas. After receiving his early education in the township school, he managed his father's farm until he was 25 years old. In 1881, he opened an office in Uniontown for the transaction of real estate and insurance business, in which he was very successful.
During his business activities, Mr. Douglas handled a large acreage of coal and timber land and as late as the day before his illness, he obtained an option on more than 2,000 acres of Greene county coal land. In his operations in coal lands he bought for himself as well as for others and engaged in the production of coal and coke. In coal and timber land valuations, he was considered an authority. His land investments included properties that have made several valuable additions to the city of Uniontown.
Mr. Douglas was a director of the Second National Bank of Uniontown for many years, and for 30 years was a member of the Great Bethel Baptist Church, serving as treasurer, deacon, trustee and chairman of the building committee. He was a member of the Elks, Heptasophs, Modern Woodmen and the Royal Arcanum. In politics he was a stanch Democrat.
On October 14, 1880, he was married to Sara L. Norcross, daughter of William and Rachel Norcross of Redstone township. No children were born to the union. Fifteen years ago Mr. Douglas expended $40,000 for the construction of a private residence in North Gallatin avenue. The mansion still is one of the most palatial in Fayette county. He leaves his widow."
The Morning Herald covered his passing with this:
"Business, financial and church circles of Uniontown lost a conspicuous and forceful figure when death yesterday morning took John S. Douglas after a very brief illness of pneumonia. Stricken but eight days ago, the end came with a swiftness which stunned his friends and added to the poignant sorrow which they feel in their bereavement.
Coming to this city many years ago he was closely identified with its growth and development along many helpful lines. He was never appealed to in vain to aid in any worthy undertaking for the advancement and uplift of the community and its interests."
After John died, his widow Sara (Lulu) moved around the town quite a bit finally settling in at 56 Byrer Avenue.